Cartagena, Mud Volcano and the Pink Sea of Galerazamba
- Duration: 7 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Cartagena, Colombia / South America
- Product code: mud volcano galerazamba
After a short 45-minute drive from Cartagena, you’ll discover El Volcán de Lodo El Totumo (The mud volcano of Totumo). With an approximate elevation of just 20 meters (50 steps to the top) this volcano houses a natural pool of mineral-infused volcanic mud, with an amazing relaxing effect and attributed healing powers of the skin. Locals will actually tell you the mud contains many medicinal properties which can help with a number of ailments, such as normalizing blood circulation, reducing any stress, and replacing any negative energy with positive. Not only all of this, but it also leaves your skin smooth and soft to the touch and is anti-inflammatory! This is one of the most desirable tours of Cartagena.
After climbing up the rustic stairs you’ll view down into the volcanic pit full of the dense and smooth volcanic mud that will soon be massaged into your body. You’ll slowly descend into the volcano and enjoy the sensation of gradually covering your body with this therapeutic gift of nature. The mud is actually so dense that you will feel an element of weightlessness as you are able to easily float on top.
At this point, an experienced attendant will begin to massage the mud into your body for a truly unique and recommended experience (optional - a tip of $4-$5.000 pesos will be expected later).
Following your mud bath, you’ll move down towards the water’s edge of an ocean inlet close by. Here is where you’ll encounter more attendants who will help you with the removal of the soothing mud (optional - a tip of $4-$5.000 pesos will be expected later) before you take a quick dip in the warm ocean waters to rinse off the remaining pieces in those hard-to-find places.
- Don’t wear your best swimsuit, as the mud has been known to be difficult to remove completely.
- Take a small amount of cash with you to tip the attendants. Your guide will be with you to hold your shoes and towel, but an additional $20-$30,000 pesos will be handy for tipping the attendants and if you’d also like a beverage while you’re there. As well as the attendants mentioned above, others will also offer to take photos on your phone.
- Earlier in the day is better to avoid the crowds and the heat of the afternoon. The steps can also sometimes get slippery as the day goes by.
Following your rejuvenating mud bath, you’ll carry on to the small village of Galerazamba a short distance away. This location has a fantastico history, but easily the pink salt flats steal the show and attract tourists from far and wide to take the perfect photo. Once you are here, you’ll enjoy time to walk around the waters, and find the perfect angle, with the sun hitting the water just right, for that perfect photo! Or simply find a quiet spot to meditate over how amazing nature really is.
The pink sea is a natural phenomenon that occurs for around ½ of the year. And depending on the season and recent climate can have a varying pink hue. There are 2 seasons when you can enjoy the pink salts. The main season being December to April, and the 2nd is August and September.
It is actually a salt mine and the changing in the color of the salt to a pink hue is caused by brightly colored salt-loving microbes, which create pigmented protein, in order to absorb the sun's solar energy.
Although as mentioned above this natural occurrence occurs for a total of 7 months every year, the best time to visit, for the best visibility is February and March when the water levels are generally at their lowest, causing a higher concentration of microbes.What's included?
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Bilingual Guide
- Entrance fees
- Meals and drinks not mentioned in the plan
- Experiences and Transport not mentioned in the plan
- Personal expenses and tips
BnB Colombia Tours